Another Newbie

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by chillijon, Aug 11, 2015.

1. chillijon

chillijon New Member

Hi,

Just joined. I’ve been growing Chillis for a couple of years. My aim has been to grow anything that survives the ups and downs of the British climate. No greenhouse and no polytunnel.

This year is slightly mundane … Cheyenne, Umbrella, Super Chilli, Cayenne, Lemon Drop, Red Thai, Charleston Hot and Apache. For decoration I have Fairy lights, Peruvian Purple and Prairie Fire.

Previous years have included: Fatalli, Masquerade, Scotch Bonnets, Birds Eye, NuMex Twilight and Purple Pete .…. and next year I aim to grow Ring O Fire, Purple Tiger, Kashmiri Mirch and Cajamarca.

2. Nathan

Nathan Administrator

Hi Chillijon,

Welcome to the forum.

Nice selection you're growing. You say no greenhouse and no polytunnel, but have you given it some thought to try ?

3. chillijon

chillijon New Member

Nathan,

No room for a polytunnel. I admit to having a small unheated 4x6 polycarbonate greenhouse but the available space is small and to fit it in to a small garden location I have to locate it under a large Oak tree. Far from ideal but no choice. Ventilation is poor and the few Chillis I have located inside have always fallen foul of a dry powder fungal attack.

I have some 160 to 180 plants on the go currently, predominantly Capsicum Annum varieties as they tend to flower and fruit early. A bonus in the short outdoor UK growing season. I find good old reliable Apache does pretty well but I am struggling with Umbrella. Lemon Drop is suffering badly with the bottom leaves turning yellow due to the wet climate.

I keep the drainage good by mixing in large quantities of horticultural sand. So when it does get hot and dry up, there is a risk of insufficient moisture. Strangely this year has not seen that problem:(