Chop off early flowers?

Discussion in 'General Chilli Discussion' started by Tom, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Tom

Tom New Member

Hi all,

My Apache and Cayenne which I overwintered/pruned have stayed remarkably healthy and soon after sprouting fresh leaves in Jan/Feb, they are now covered in tiny flower buds. Most of the advice I've seen around is to nip these off so the plant uses it's energy for growing, and because they won't mature into decent fruit anyway.

Can anyone verify from personal experience what is best for 1 year old plants? If it means much better fruit later on, I'll make the effort to cut them all off for the next month or so. But if they're going to be good and there's no real risk to the plant, I'll let nature take it's course!

2. Chilli trucker

Chilli trucker New Member

I wouldn't know for sure but I know you should really do the very first set of flowers that's only because the plant is not strong enough but once established it should be more than fine

3. mikky

mikky New Member

This is my first year of chilli growing--(so no expert!)---but my Scotch bonnet had flower drop for a while until it righted itself.
    I had a yield of 60 or so fruits off three cores i just threw into a pot.
    As i said, i'm no expert and wondered if this 'flower drop' happens every year, with all plants, or just certain variety's?